Sport Pilot Antagonists

Anything pertaining to the new Light Sport Pilots license, or other licensing.

Do you think the Sport Pilot rating is safe?

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes: 44

joea
Site Admin

Re: Thank you for the Thanks

Post by joea »

SFC Hiatt wrote: As to your comment about enjoying the champ, I have flown in and jumped out of just about every type aircraft ever built and I too wouldn’t want anything else at this point. I took the plane to a fly in restaurant the other day, I parked next to a couple real high dollar aircraft and still everyone wanted to look at the little plane with the snoopy on the rudder. My instructor has a Super Decathlon and I caught him flying alone in the champ the other day while his Decathlon set lonely in the hanger.

Be Safe
SFC Hiatt
Ha! I was part of a team who traveled to Poland in 1989 a few months before the Berlin Wall fell. We drove in a convoy from Berlin to Krakow and then did demo and other parachute jumps there. Interesting part was that we jumped out of Polish military aircraft, An-26, An-2, helo's of all sorts and even a balloon and glider aircraft. We were in most part really happy to jump out of their airplanes, something that was not normal for us!

They had never seen anything like it and it was a blast. Then we had a "rain day" and traveled to Auswitz (which was nearby) and returned to reality. Sad to see but it needs to be remembered forever.

Blue Skies, D9117

Joe A
Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

Now thats not fair to talk about the AN-2 that way. I,ve got some time in that model. It flys like a 65hp Champ that weighs 12,000 lbs and burns a gallon a minute.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046
Mikek

Re: Sport Pilot Antagonists

Post by Mikek »

Aerial,

Mikek here,

Have you found a CFI to fly with? If not are you getting in any flying even
it all counts to being a safe pilot.
Mike Knemeyer

1410 Meadow Lane
Yellow Springs,Ohio 45387

3oh0
N83348 7AC-2015
N82146 7AC-772
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

I have around 25 years of experience and 900+ hours (200 in TW and 700 or so in my Cherokee....which I sold). At age 66+ I've been toying with the idea of going Sport Pilot when my next medical comes due. I have absolutely no health issues and take no medication, but don't want to find the situation where my medical is denied either for some minor situation that winds up being a paperwork nightmare with the FAA in Oklahoma (I've seen it happen with others).

Am I to understand that with a Sport License you can't land at tower airports (radio in Champ) or fly cross countries? That doesn't seem reasonable to me with the amount of experience I have in both these areas. Obviously night, instrument and less than VFR conditions are out of the question and I have no interest in any of these situations (never did, even in the Cherokee).

(Related to the above: I just went to the EAA site and it appears the only restriction into B,C or D air space is 'training and a log book endorsement' .....somewhat like the tailwheel endorsement....I see no restrictions on cross country.....unless I'm missing it)

My insurance is coming due also. Be interested in seeing if they have any conditons regarding Sport Pilot.

I think it will take at least 40 hours to be a 'competent' Sport Pilot if you're starting from a scratch....that is, with no prior experience.

Mike
"If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money"
Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

Mike,
We do Sport pilot instruction out here in California from a tower controlled field. If I remember correctly ( I dont instruct) the restriction is for Class C airspace. I dont believe there is a cross country restriction.
The majority of our sport pilots are just as you. Some quit flying due to the cost of the medical, which could be as high as $1000 and was good for 12 months only. Others are taking a medication which would cause a refusal from the FAA, i.e. Blood presure pills.
We encourage all students to take the medical exam if they have no known problems. It is then their option to become a sport pilot or private pilot.
Our records are indicating that the new starts are choosing to become private pilots and the sport pilot rating is being used by seasoned pilots to continue and/or return to the skys.
My opinion is the FAA did a great service to the sport by allowing this rating.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046
jim pacquin

sport pilot lisc.

Post by jim pacquin »

i learned from a ww2 ex fighter pilot-glider instructor in a 65 hp champ. I soloed in 13 hours. I had to recover from a spin, poweron stall, power off stall, soft field takeoff, short field take off, and lots of slips, lots of them, (which i like to do even if I dont need to.)

I should mention that in the spins I had to recover on a point..a church steeple. He also looped it several times to explain the attitude, power needed going in, etc. He stressed that when I got my private I would only then really start to learn how to fly. He stressed WEATHER.....WEATHER and how it could kill you.

I have always had great respect for an airplane and have never....so far..injured myself or an aircraft. BUT I sure could if not very careful. I was uncomfortable in unusual attitudes but I do know basic recovery and that has always been a help.

I dont think many current students get this training REGARDLESS of how much time thay train. I am not a finished, really good pilot even after all these hours (2900-about 2500 in tail draggers.)

I leave all the intense flying to southwest or jet blue. I like to growl around in the mighty champ as its very forgiving and kind and I meet great people around airports. I think the instructor is more important than the private or s.p. ticket. But like Paul says you better ask others.

I might add that most I know who decided to fly instruments are no longer around due to bad decisions or technique flying small aircraft. I never did other than to know how to GET OUT of weather asap.
joea
Site Admin

Post by joea »

Paul Agaliotis wrote:Now thats not fair to talk about the AN-2 that way. I,ve got some time in that model. It flys like a 65hp Champ that weighs 12,000 lbs and burns a gallon a minute. Paul
Paul,

You are correct, the AN-2 is a large lumbering beast and very fun to fly. I have some time in one but my favourite Eastern Bloc prop airplane to fly is the Wilga. You can land it in 100 feet if you are brave enough and when 45 degrees of flaps are down you actually point the nose down at your touchdown point on the runway, then pull back and flare at the last second. Scared the shirley out of me the first time the instructor did it, then I tried and it was a lot of fun.

Jim,

My commercial instructor was an old friend, and he was a Battle of Britain Spitfire pilot. He forgot more than I know about flying and I miss him dearly. Still remember the tips he taught me in the plane...

Joe A
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Joe A.

I lived/worked at the American Embassy in Cairo from 91 to 99. Go to the American Embassy club in Maadi, called Maadi House, and ask for Fred Goodall. He will sign you in and you can get American food, beer and lots of BS.

Dennis
joea
Site Admin

Post by joea »

Dennis,

Thanks much! I was based in Riyadh for two years in the mid-90's and fondly remember "Uncle Sams" at the American Embassy.

Will get ahold of your friend if we are in town much longer.

Take care,

Joe
Jody Wittmeyer

Post by Jody Wittmeyer »

Someone hit on the instructor issue. In early 70 I soloed in 5 hours in a champ. 2nd lesson was stalls, spins and got to learn loops, as a reward for not freaking out during the previous. My instructor was ww2 vintage and taught flying by feel. Had to be able to take off, fly manuevers and land from the back seat before solo. Takes less time to solo in a champ, or cub, I think, than a c-10 or tomahawk. less to look at. for newbies, no bad habits to correct as far as the tailwheel aspect. I never thought taildraggers were tougher, because I learned in them.
After quitting flying for 10 years, when I went back, my instructor had less hours than I did. She was afraid to hover in slow flight and strong winds. (c-172) couldn't do spins and departure stalls were done at way less than full power.
it was ok to land in the first 1/2 of the runway with some power. she really couldn't figure out I could consistantly hit the numbers and keep it on the centerline. Scary
Blue Skies and Stay Safe, and preserve 'em
Omymyohellyes

Post by Omymyohellyes »

Am I to understand that with a Sport License you can't land at tower airports (radio in Champ) or fly cross countries? That doesn't seem reasonable to me with the amount of experience I have in both these areas. Obviously night, instrument and less than VFR conditions are out of the question and I have no interest in any of these situations (never did, even in the Cherokee).

(Related to the above: I just went to the EAA site and it appears the only restriction into B,C or D air space is 'training and a log book endorsement' .....somewhat like the tailwheel endorsement....I see no restrictions on cross country.....unless I'm missing it)

Daytime VFR appears to be the only restriction (outside of the aircraft limits) on higher rated pilots. The restrictions on sport pilots and requirements for endorsements only cover those holding a sport pilot certificate or recreational pilot certificate (like their restriction on cross country).

For those holding a higher rating (Pvt, Comm, ATP) and exercising sport pilot privileges, there are no restrictions on cross country flight or flight in controlled airspace (except for Class A and subject to the equipment requirements of the controlled airspace). Thus, as the only thing a pvt pilot - ASEL loses if he chooses to fly under LSA, is the ability to fly a bunch of people in a big, fast airplane and night flying. Oh - and the headache of dealing with the FAA every two years over his medical.

And no, I'm not an aviation lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.
joea
Site Admin

Post by joea »

Dennis wrote:Joe A.

I lived/worked at the American Embassy in Cairo from 91 to 99. Go to the American Embassy club in Maadi, called Maadi House, and ask for Fred Goodall. He will sign you in and you can get American food, beer and lots of BS.

Dennis
Dennis, Called the Embassy in Cairo and no one knew of Fred Goodall. Sure he is still there?

In Brussels now, but back in Cairo over the weekend.

Joe
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Joe, sorry about the incomplete information. Fred is a contractor friend who I knew at the Maadi House, the Embassy club in Maadi. He does not work at the Embassy, just hangs out at the Embassy club. I am going to give you two numbers for the Maadi House which are from my 1999 directory. Not sure if they are still valid.

Fred is usually at Maadi House soaking up the suds and shooting pool on Tuesday, and Thursday night + other nights weather permitting. Wednesday night is pool league night, he may be there depending on the pool league venue. I will send Fred an email, tell him about you and get his phone number.

Maadi House 376-8204 or 353-4363. I am not sure if the current people at Maadi House will remember me. The American staff changes every two to four years. The locals are more long term employees. They may remember my wife and I.

Dennis
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Joe,

Freds phone number in Cairo (Maadi) is 213-7217. He said to call him anytime and he will sign you in.

Dennis