Sport pilot flight tests

Anything pertaining to the new Light Sport Pilots license, or other licensing.
Jerry Eichenberger

Sport pilot flight tests

Post by Jerry Eichenberger »

For what it's worth, I was conversing last weekend with a designated examiner who does all checkrides for all certificates, including sport pilot.

He oberves the following about the sport applicants:

1. Every sport pilot applicant has been better prepared than the typical private applicant is.

2. Sport pilot applicants are better stick and rudder flyers than is the average private applicant.

3. He has not failed a single sport pilot applicant yet.

Just some interesting observations, I think.
Jerry A. Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
614-798-1600
joea
Site Admin

Post by joea »

Good to see.

Where in the world have you been? Have not heard a peep out of you in a long time!

Joe
SFC Hiatt

No money to fail!

Post by SFC Hiatt »

Sport pilots (like me) don't have enough money to fail the checkride. We have to make every lesson count!

I'll mention your finding during my presentation at AirVenture.
Jerry Eichenberger

Hi Joe -

I got into motorcycling after a 40 year layoff, so I've been diverted for a while.

I've only flown 4 or 5 times this year so far, but I did renew my CFI last weekend, so hopefully iIll fly a litttle more.

My Champ is so busy on rental for paying customers it's hardly available for ole me.
Jerry A. Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
614-798-1600
joea
Site Admin

Post by joea »

Jerry Eichenberger wrote:Hi Joe -

I got into motorcycling after a 40 year layoff, so I've been diverted for a while.

I've only flown 4 or 5 times this year so far, but I did renew my CFI last weekend, so hopefully iIll fly a litttle more.

My Champ is so busy on rental for paying customers it's hardly available for ole me.
Jerry,

I have a very nice Chief I could sell you so that you can fly yourself sometime! :)

I am doing the same on bikes. Have a 1972 BMW R75/5 that is waiting for the heat to break here.
Jerry Eichenberger

Joe -

We're having a great day here today, so I checked the Champ's schedule a booked 90 minutes after work tonight for myself.

The last bike I had was a Honda 305 Dream in 1968.

In April I bought a 2006 Suzuki S40 (650cc). By my standards from the 1960s, a 650 is a huge bike, even though it's considered a beginner bike by todays' standards.

I took the MSF course, as when I rode last, there was no such thing as a motorcycle endorsement - you just rode on your regular driver's license. If you haven't taken the MSF Basic Rider Course, I can't recommend it too highly. I learned a ton.
Jerry A. Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
614-798-1600
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

I bought a 1979 Honda CX 500 last summer to save money for gas .That's what I told my wife :wink: but it's 55 MPG instead of 18 with the truck. Last cycle I had was in my airforce days 1957 or 58 and it was a Matchless 500 Twin. Wish I would have parked it in the barn instead of selling it for $150 :cry: . Probably worth a fortune today.

I just finished the MSF class last week. Well worth the money and time spent. Next Tuesday (July 22) all my licenses (CDL, cycle, school bus and passenger bus) run out so I've been a busy beaver trying to get all the training in. I thought retirement was supposed to have less stress :shock:.

On another note: just finished putting the new leading on the L16 project today :lol: ....life is good!!

Mike Berg
"If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money"
SFC Hiatt

Honda Ruckus

Post by SFC Hiatt »

Three of the old guys around our airport have recently bought Honda Ruckus scooters. Not exactly motorcycles but they are getting over 100 mpg.

My motorcycle is a bicycle ;) Wife said I had to pick two from my motorcycle, boat and airplane toys..........somehow I only ended up with an airplane, so maybe I should ask for another Motorcycle for my birthday????
Jerry Eichenberger

When I started getting the hots to ride again about a year ago, I was really interesting in a Honda Silverwing scooter - 600cc and plenty of power and comfort.

But, they are horribly expensive. I figured if I bought a new one with all of the garb like helmet, jacket, etc. I'd have close to $10,000 invested in what was really an experiment to see if I still wanted to ride after all of those years.

Well, I decided to buy used, and to buy a mtorcycle instead, since they are so much cheaper. The 2006 S40 I got with bags, windshield and back rest cost me $3150, including the seller's delivering it to me since it came from 130 miles away and I wasn't ready to ride that far yet when I got it.

I'll keep it thru this riding season, as I've put about 600 miles on it so far. But next spring I'll probably get a maxi scooter like the Silverwing or Burgman. They are so much more practical with all of that storage space. For instance, I don't ride the bike to work when I know I'll need to run a substantial errand after work, like for milk, etc. for dinner.

With the storage space in a scooter, I could.
Jerry A. Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
614-798-1600
Roger Anderson

Post by Roger Anderson »

I have a Yamaha FZ6 which is my primary bike now. It's just a little (by today's standards) 600 cc, so only around 90 hp and 0 to 100 in a little over 7 seconds. It's insane what technology has done to these current bikes now. My old Yamaha XS650 which I still have, a bigger engine is only about 35 hp. I sold my Harley, which I had for 18 years and 100k miles last month. Will be up at the AMA VMD in Lexington, Oh next week, a wonderful motorbike event if anyone is in the area.
Jerry Eichenberger

Roger -

What's the AMA VMD? Being newly back into the sport after a 40 year layoff, I'm ignorant of the big events.

And yes, these "super bikes" of today would scare me silly. The power of my little S40 is more than I ever experienced before on two wheels.

If gas prices stay high, I think we'll see some of the mid range bikes that are imported to Europe by the Japanese manufacturers start making it to our shores too.

Just last evening I was talking to a line guy at our FBO who has a Harley Road King. He gets 40 mpg. Heck, I get 34 on the road in my BMW 325.

To me, any bike ought to get north of 60 mpg before I'm interested.
Jerry A. Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
614-798-1600
Roger Anderson

Post by Roger Anderson »

Jerry Eichenberger wrote:Roger -

What's the AMA VMD? Being newly back into the sport after a 40 year layoff, I'm ignorant of the big events.

Just last evening I was talking to a line guy at our FBO who has a Harley Road King. He gets 40 mpg. Heck, I get 34 on the road in my BMW 325.

To me, any bike ought to get north of 60 mpg before I'm interested.
Hi Jerry. It's the American Motorcycle Association Vintage Motorcycle Days held at Mid Ohio racetrack in Lexington. A super event, a weekend of vintage motorcycle racing, huge swap meet, etc. Here's a link to it. If you want to see a bunch of older bikes for sale, it's the place. I think this will be my 10th year. I camp at the track with a bunch of Yamaha XS650 folks I've met through the years. I usually do a 13 hr backroad ride up and tent camp. I'm taking my popup camper this year. Getting older. If you are nearby, you can get a one day pass instead of the weekend event pass. I get 51 mph on the FZ6. I had an EX500 (Ninja 500R) and got 61 mpg with it. roger

http://www.amadirectlink.com/vmd/2008/
Jerry Eichenberger

Roger -

These next two weeks are a zoo for me. I'm out of town next week, and of course, Oshkosh is the week after.

This coming Sunday, 7/20, is the Dayton Air Show, and I had to decline an invite to go with my good friend, Gen. Steve Ritchie, the "last American ace".
Steve is flying an F-104 show with two other Starfighters. Wish I could see it, but it seems everything gets crammed into the last half of July for some reason.
Jerry A. Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
614-798-1600
flyingfool

Post by flyingfool »

Jerry Eichenberger wrote:When I started getting the hots to ride again about a year ago, I was really interesting in a Honda Silverwing scooter - 600cc and plenty of power and comfort.

But, they are horribly expensive. I figured if I bought a new one with all of the garb like helmet, jacket, etc. I'd have close to $10,000 invested in what was really an experiment to see if I still wanted to ride after all of those years.

Well, I decided to buy used, and to buy a mtorcycle instead, since they are so much cheaper. The 2006 S40 I got with bags, windshield and back rest cost me $3150, including the seller's delivering it to me since it came from 130 miles away and I wasn't ready to ride that far yet when I got it.

I'll keep it thru this riding season, as I've put about 600 miles on it so far. But next spring I'll probably get a maxi scooter like the Silverwing or Burgman. They are so much more practical with all of that storage space. For instance, I don't ride the bike to work when I know I'll need to run a substantial errand after work, like for milk, etc. for dinner.

With the storage space in a scooter, I could.
Yo may want to consider buying a Honda "Pacific Coast" PC800. These are a cult bike but they stopped making them quite a long time ago. They look "scooterlike" and they have a HUGE trunk. I've read reports that an entire shopping bag can be put into it.

It sounds like it would meet your needs very well and also be a true motorcycle and probably save you several thousand dollars.
Jerry Eichenberger

Flying Fool -

Thanks for the insight. With my total lack of mechanical ability, or frankly, desire to do my own maintenance, something a bit odd and old may not be for me.

I'm the kind of guy who takes cars, planes, and bikes to the shop and says, "Do what the manual says to do at this interval".

And at my age of 61.5, I figure if I buy a new scooter or bike, it'll probably last all, if not most, of the time I have left to enjoy it.
Jerry A. Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
614-798-1600