FAR 61.53

Anything pertaining to the new Light Sport Pilots license, or other licensing.
zipperdu

Re: FAR 61.53

Post by zipperdu »

I'm am confused about the Special Issuance Medical Certification-

Rick, you were saying theres no "converting" a special issuance medical to a sport-pilot rule where no medical is required, just let it lapse...

I read in the AOPA Online"Introduction to the Airman Medical Certification Process- Special Issuance Medical Certification that the FAA may withdraw the certification anytime the FAA sees evidence of an "adverse" change in your condition.

If you don't supply the required paperwork for the Special Issuance extension (usually required after a year, depending on your condition) can the FAA withdraw the certification and that defaults to a denial (the big, nasty, dirty word) if no other action is taken.

I think it is really a shame that the legaleze is such that it causes so many different opinions on it's interpretation.

Jon
Jerry Eichenberger

Post by Jerry Eichenberger »

Jon -

If you have a special issuance now and want to operate as a sport pilot, just don't renew it.

If you last had a regular medical, even if it was 20 years ago, you do nothing - just use your driver's license.

If you never had a medical in your life, just use your DL. It's that simple - people are making a mountain out of a mole hill with needless discussion.
Jerry A. Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
614-798-1600
pablo

Post by pablo »

Jerry:
You are right: "It's that simple -people are making a mountain out of a mole hill with needless discussion", but creating fear and confussion are the basis of the insurance industry and the legal profession. Unfortunately, the medical industry have learned , and is following the same path.

Pablo
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

As a member of the AOPA I paid the extra $99.00 per year and got the full medical evaluation service. Right now, I am flying on my drivers license along with a letter that I got from each of my doctors and documentation that I have done, what the AOPA has told me is necessary. As an example, I am on Coumadin and will probably be on it for life. I have been on this in the past and was gounded until I was off and had not been taking it for 6 months.

Currently Coumadin is not a disqualifing drug if the test for genetic blood clotting problems is taken and is negative and as long as during the past 12 months, your INR (clotting factor) is between 2.0 and 3.0 for at least 80 percent of the tests. I now carry a copy of my Test Results and my last 12 INR times.

Probably not a perfect solution, but I feel a little more enabled to justfy my sport pilot status.
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com
Jerry Eichenberger

Post by Jerry Eichenberger »

Robert -

That's all good, but you don't have to carry anything with you other than your driver's license.

Jerry E.
Jerry A. Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
614-798-1600
brink

Post by brink »

I’ve been reading the posts concerning this FAR. Okay you all have at least a private pilotcertificate! I have an FE ticket, A&P IA and a DL, my Private and FE to use it legally must be supported by a Medical Certificate,when I flew by at least a 2nd class medical. That expired in 2010. I was ramped in 2015 flying a buddy’s Champ. Light sport. When I fly, I carry my old Army helmet bag, with all my required licensing documentation. This may sound crazy but also my will, and insurance, on my aircraft, not his. The stuff That meets 61:53. The ramp included a quick walk around, some conversation, thank you very much and have a good flight. That was it, I was in my late 60s, today I am in my 70s, I still fly, not daily, covering my fuselage this winter. But I stay current, BFR, landings, no body has mentioned that, landings to a full stop, so many days! All that stuff comes in to play, you all have a nice holiday and fly safe.