7ECA wings on a 7FC/EC

Fuel tanks, systems and parts
n727gs

7ECA wings on a 7FC/EC

Post by n727gs »

I managed to acquire a NICE set of 7ECA wings while collecting trinkets for my 7FC/EC project. I like the idea of bigger fuel tanks. Anybody done this or got any words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance,
Steve near Chicago
Paul Agaliotis

Re: 7ECA wings on a 7FC/EC

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

If they are the square tanks it's a bolt on swap. If they have the new oval tanks the vent system is different but can be modified to work.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046
SFC Hiatt

Post by SFC Hiatt »

Steve, are you going to leave it a 7FC and cross over to the dark side or move the nose wheel back and make it an EC?

I have become addicted to the FC mostly because I can fly on days with the tail draggers stay in the hangers and the guy who owns the FC is like a father to me.

Chris
Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

I second Chris on this Steve,
I purchased my FC to convert to tailwheel. After doing some searching I found there aren't many Tri-Champs left. I plan to leave it as is.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046
joea
Site Admin

Post by joea »

SFC Hiatt wrote: I have become addicted to the FC mostly because I can fly on days with the tail draggers stay in the hangers.

Chris
Wussy! :)
n727gs

Post by n727gs »

It's already converted. I already have a couple of nosewheel airplanes for when its windy.

This airplane lead an interesting life. It had been over on its back at least once and the wings attest to the abuse, three spar splices and several rib repairs. I'd like to bolt up the Citabria wings as they are.

The previous owner who did the mod was a Fed. I think he did the conversion to put it on floats and managed to have an Airworthiness Certificate re-issued that says " 7EC conv."

Steve near Chicago
vintageair

Post by vintageair »

I've never flown one with the nose wheel still in place but from what I've read and heard I'm not so sure they are a better bet in the wind. Reading through my logbooks I can see that my FC was first wrecked about three months after leaving the factory in '58. Apparently after the third time it got blown over on it's back they decided to ditch the nose wheel and turn it back into a real airplane after which it seems to have led a much less traumatic existence.

Now if that's because nobody is crazy enough to take a taildragger out in the wind I don't know but the FC manual does have an entire page dedicated on how to deal with wind conditions and avoid cracking up your plane while taxiing so obviously they knew there were at least some issues when the built it.

I can understand keeping one original for nostalgia or just to keep an example in existence but not for the purpose of fearlessly facing the winds when no others dare. :shock: