Second Wing Rib

Fuel tanks, systems and parts
chip reahard

Second Wing Rib

Post by chip reahard »

Nate,
I noticed on the photos of your tank installation that the second wing rib appears to be another root rib or an inboard aileron bay rib. Is this a requirement of the wag aero installation process or can a standard main rib be left in the #2 position? We are building up the left wing now and are at the point that we will decide about installing the aux tank...so, I want to put the proper rib in that position now. Thanks for your help!
Chip
N82S
Nathan K. Hammond

Re: Second Wing Rib

Post by Nathan K. Hammond »

Chip, This was something I did on my own. I figured using a Root rib in the second position would be stronger for holding the tank and wood platform in place. In hindsight; a normal rib is just as good if not easier to install.

By using a Root rib, I've had to trim the capstrip back so the tank can pickup the existing screw holes in the rib (the top of the tank is designed for a normal rib width, and a root rib is twice the width.) I've also had to modify how the rib is attached; normally it's held in place with bolts, nut drilling holes 15" from the root isn't a smart thing, so I've drilled nail holes in the rib and will add an 1/8" spacer where the fitting is suppose to go.

Looking back, I would use a normal rib.

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK
chip reahard

Re: Second Wing Rib

Post by chip reahard »

Thanks Nate.
I think we'll go with the standard rib based on your experience.
Chip