Tank Outlet Screen

Fuel tanks, systems and parts
RRHaldeman

Tank Outlet Screen

Post by RRHaldeman »

I hope some old-timer or expert can answer these questions.

On my 7AC, my fuel tank drains from the bottom through an Imperial fuel valve. During the renovation, we now have the fuel valve screw directly into the main tank (different than when I bought the plane). Now I have to fabricate a tank outlet screen that will prevent fuel starvation if, say a large leaf, gets into the tank and to prevent other foreign matter from getting to the engine. I have Aeronca Drawing 1-3417A that diagrams a 3/8 x .032 x 3.00 seamless copper tube with 80 staggered holes drilled in a symmetrical pattern.

Here are my questions:

1. On the drawing, the end of the tube should be closed and the drawing states:”CLOSE END OF TUBE BY SPINNING SHUT.” How does one close the tube by “spinning shut”?

2. Once fabricated, I don’t know how to attach the 3/8” tank outlet screen to the existing inlet port of the Imperial valve. The ID of the valve that screws into the fuel tank measures 11/32”. Any ideas?

3. I am thinking that I might be able to use a seamless copper tank outlet screen that fits inside the inlet port similar to the 3/8” screen, but with a smaller diameter. If not that resolution, how should I go about fabricating and installing the necessary tank outlet screen?
Dick Haldeman, RRHaldeman AT aol DOT com
Cell (815) 222-9812
1946 7AC-2407 N83729
brink

Re: Tank Outlet Screen

Post by brink »

Hello Friend:
I guess we are talking about a 7-AC My tank , Nose tank that is located under the boot cowl, infront of the instrument panel. Two outlets are on the bottom of tank. the on /off selector valve is in the center outlet. It should have a fine mesh screen soldered on the top of the fuel valve on/off outlet inside of the Tank. The second out let is closer to the instrument panel, used for the Primer. it has no screen and utilizes a 90 degree fitting, that goes directly to the fuel primer. Your Gascolator also has a fine screen in the top of the unit. its under the cork bowl seal, the center out let is where the filtered fuel enters the fuel line to the Carburator. the inlet to the carburator, may be 60 or90 degree fitting, it depends, on the routing. on the carb left rear adjacent to the inlet fitting, is a large 1 inch filter nut. It houses a finger screen, many flyers call it the last chance filter.when fueling, I always use a filtered funnel and a leather chamios, when filling my tank. the chamois removes any water in the fuel. and a paint filter under the leather. It's amazing what you find in the funnel after fueling. I also check the gascolator and last chance filter every 25 hours, Afellow flyer Sunny
RRHaldeman

Post by RRHaldeman »

It should have a fine mesh screen soldered on the top of the fuel valve on/off outlet inside of the Tank
You are correct, but it does not. So, I'm still pondering how to fabricate a finger screen to replace the fine mesh screen that used to be in place.
Cell (815) 222-9812
1946 7AC-2407 N83729
brink

Post by brink »

hello Flyer!:
A fellow in Alaska manufacteres a new on/off valve assembly with a tall finger screen, too rich for my blood, Buy that new valve ,or The only way you can fix yours, is to cut a 6 inch hole in the top of your nose tank, clean the area and put a steel wire mesh screen in your outlet. just two pops, or use two part fuel type epoxy, and glue the screen in place. aluminum weld up the 6 inch hole. Price wise roughly the same. I've never seen this new valve, but the photo's look nice. a 337 is also required for the new type valve, Good luck, a fellow flyer Sunny
RichB

Post by RichB »

Univar P/N 48081-1. Just solders into the valve. Keeps leaves and small trees out if you have that problem? The so called last chance filter is found in the carb inlet.

Rich
RRHaldeman

Post by RRHaldeman »

Thanks Rich, I will check it out.
Cell (815) 222-9812
1946 7AC-2407 N83729