7AC gas gage wire adjustment

Fuel tanks, systems and parts
GWestphal

7AC gas gage wire adjustment

Post by GWestphal »

Searched but couldn't find any thing showing the wire adjustment angles and lengths. Is there a drawing showing this or is it form and install and tweak later. The gage came with the plane is a Spruce and Spec 05-00029. There is a cork/neoprene gasket and a copper one. Does anyone put titeseal on the cork one before installing and same for the copper before putting on the outer chrome 10 point nut? Gordy in Minnesota 7AC/CCM
MikeB

Re: 7AC gas gage wire adjustment

Post by MikeB »

Good morning Gordy,
Jody Wittmeyer wrote an article on rebuilding the gas gauge and float ("Those Pesty Fuel Gauges"). I searched for it this morning in the archives but couldn't find it. I think I may have a paper copy somewhere in the shop that I can mail you if needed. Going from memory, it seems he just filled the tank with a few gallons at a time and bent the wire accordingly. Although it's a good start I never trust the darn thing anyway as once it gets to 1/2 tank or so the gauge bounces all over. Generally I use a paint stick with the gallons marked off and my watch figuring so many gallons per hour (about 4 1/2 on a 65). Regarding the gaskets, I used some kind of a sealer on them before installing the gauge set. I'm thinking both sides but not exactly sure. The threads were bad on my L16 tank but I was able to get it tightened down and no leaks so far.

Mike
GWestphal

Post by GWestphal »

Thanks for the note Mike. When I got the plane the 8 pt nut that captures the glass was already installed. It appears tight should I turn it loose and check for any sealant or would it be already sealed at whomever made the gage asm. Also is there a flash cover that has an opening in it to read the gage but cover up the recess of the 8 pt. If I make up a 4 pt wrench out up aluminum bar stock - should that be enough to loosen the nut. Gordy in Mn
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Gordy,
I 'think' if it's already assembled I'd leave it alone. Apparently (going from memory again) there are a couple of different gauge assemblies but the exact differences escapes me. I have a friend who restores Model A Fords and he furnished me a tool to set mine in place on the L16. If I remember correctly "Dennis" off this site has a loaner tool made up to restore the threads in the tank if needed.
My Champ always 'seeped' a little if the tank was full but someone before me had installed the big nut with a pipe wrench :evil: and I decided it was better to leave well enough alone.

I looked but I can't find Jody's article.

Mike
pmanton

Post by pmanton »

Did the Champ ever legally use a bobber in lieu of the 'Model A" gas guage? I ask because my 7AC has a bobber with no other gas guage. There is a blank plate under the bezel that would normally hold the guage. I'm somewhat leery of attempting to unscrew the bezel for fear of what I'll find. :o

Paul
N1431A
N83803
2AZ1
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Not that I'm aware of on a Champ at least. I suspect someone got sick of the glass gasket leaking, pulled the gauge and put a plate over the hole. Not a bad deal I guess when you think about it and probably works as well as the Model A "bouncing Betty".

MikeB
Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

Paul,
The Champ never used the cork/wire set-up. Nor did it use a Model A replacement part, legally speaking.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046