Fuel Storage Tank

Fuel tanks, systems and parts
MikeB

Fuel Storage Tank

Post by MikeB »

I'm looking for suggestions on how to build a fuel storage tank with some kind of a pump. It's just too much for my tired old body to lift five gallon tanks up to fill the wing tanks on a regular basis. I think with some kind of an electric pump unit. Suggestions for tank, etc.????
Thanks
Mike
DELCOM

Re: Fuel Storage Tank

Post by DELCOM »

Mike

I built one and love it. It takes alot of the hassel out of refueling after flying. I can not find a photo on my computer so I will go to the hangar in the am a snap a photo. It is a small trailer with a tongue jack with a wheel, a 60 gallon fuel tank, a 12 volt pump with 2 filters, delivery nozzel with gallon meter inline, a tool box with battery inside, a 20 ft ground cable with clamp, not the cheapest way to go but I already had several of the parts.

I can not say enough about how well it works compared to others I have seen.

Del
N84029 7AC conv. #2716 Completed and flying
N83059 7BCM #1715 fully restored and sold
DELCOM

Post by DELCOM »

Mike

I was able to find a photo of the fuel trailer.

Hope this helps

Del
N84029 7AC conv. #2716 Completed and flying
N83059 7BCM #1715 fully restored and sold
Nathan K. Hammond

Post by Nathan K. Hammond »

Mike, we went the same direction as Del. 150gal saddle tank off an 18-wheeler, 12v pump from Tractor Supply, water/particulate filter, and a generic trailer to pull it around. It's a great setup for us; can pull it down the road to the airport or local clean fuel gas station, and then roll it around the hangar with a trailer dolly. (like you tailwheel tugger)

Another option, we've used Johnson Bildge Pumps as smoke oil pumps on airplanes and barrels for 20 years. Some folks use the same pump as a transfer pump for Avgas. It works in short durations, but I'd be leery as they're not explosion proof.

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

I guess finding a tank is a good first step. I checked the local salvage yard looking for an aluminum tank of around 40-60 gallons but no luck yet. Northern Tool has the tanks similiar to Del's. A bit pricy but......(still thinking). The only problem will be when my wife gets the credit card bill for 60 gallons of gas :shock: . Keep 'em coming.....

Mike
Nathan K. Hammond

Post by Nathan K. Hammond »

Here's some pics of our setup...

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Mike,

I would post a picture of my fuel trailer but I don't know how to get the picture from the iPad to here.

I bought a slightly damaged skidoo trailer ($150), mounted a 60 gal tank ($50) and a tractor supply pump ($250). All in 1999 dollars. I made two Fiberglas stantions to mount the round tank. I calculated the weight of a full tank and located the full tank such that the trailer tongue had about 50# weight. Then welded a grounding lug on the tank, grounding to the trailer plus giving me a point to attach a ground to the plane.

Don't forget to do all welding repairs prior to changing the diesel tank to a gasoline tank.

Dennis
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Dennis,
I think you sent me a picture of your set up before. Basically I need to find an aluminum tank. I guess the rest is a matter of $$$$.
Hope all is well with you!
Mike
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Mike,

I got my tank at a salvage yard. It had a small hole that had to be repaired.

In your part of the country, if you can find a dented tank, fill it with water and set it outside. I tried to fix a dented small continental oil tank but let it freeze too long. All the dents came out but it went farther and split the tank at the seam. So monitor the process.

Dennis