Finishing tape at the aft of Champ rear window frame

Fabric and covering. Fabric, dopes, paint and everything associated with the coverings on our planes.
dlrude

Finishing tape at the aft of Champ rear window frame

Post by dlrude »

I was looking at putting the finishing tape on at aft of the Champ rear window frame.

The curve back there must be about a 3"-4" radius.

Can ceconite tape be heat shrunk on one edge enough to make that curve?

It seems very difficult to get finishing tape on there. What is the secret? patience?

Thanks, Dave.

DELCOM

Re: Finishing tape at the aft of Champ rear window frame

Post by DELCOM »

Dave

I do not think it is normal to place finishing tape on the inside curve of the rear window of a champ. I believe the fabric is glued to the wood window frame with no tape. It is really a place that you can give some thought to as to how to get it right. Thus it becomes important to properly prep the wood for the fabric cement to adhere well. The way I do it is cement to the somewhat narrow wood window frame then iron the fabric to conform with the recess in the frame that the window glass rests in. Then I cement the fabric into the recess area.It is very important to get a good wet soak thru of the fabric with the fabric cement as it attaches to the window frame. Also helps a lot if you keep the area flat and smooth so the window glass lays in flat and dos not transfer irregularity's to the window trim pieces later.

Del
N84029 7AC conv. #2716 Completed and flying
N83059 7BCM #1715 fully restored and sold

jepropst

Post by jepropst »

On the original Champs and as shown on the drawings, the fabric was wrapped around and glued to the window frame. The window was then installed and finishing tape was used between the fabric and the window, i.e. the window is glued to the fabric. This makes a nice waterproof joint but it takes some time to assure that the finish tape does not stick out past the metal trim that goes around the window. Concerning the finishing tape itself, I could not get regular shrink tape to curve around the window so I used pinking sheers and fabric and cut a curved strip to fit around the small curve.
John Propst
313 Hickory Grove Ln
Elizabeth, WV 26143
cell 304 588 3690
j.e.propst@ieee.org
N3129E 2WV3

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

Dave,
Del pretty much covered the installation. There is a trim piece that covers the window edges. A tape in this area would be covered by the trim.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

dlrude

Post by dlrude »

Thank you all for the info.

I see that I need to make some adjustments to my method.

Last night I started looking at the extension of the rear window frame where it joins to the plywood bulkhead.

I was thinking about cutting a fabric reinforcement patch to cover that area so that the fabric was reinforced over the wood edges. The drawing does not show that being done. Do you guys do anything in that area or do you just leave it be one layer of fabric?

Same question for the stringers? Do you put finish tape over them? Drawing does not show that either.

I see that the vertical stamped member aft of the door and its sister member on the left side between the windows rubs tight against teh fabric like a rib so I am putting a tape over that (I think). Sound rational to you guys?

Thanks, Dave.

dlrude

Post by dlrude »

Thank you all for the info.

I see that I need to make some adjustments to my method.

Last night I started looking at the extension of the rear window frame where it joins to the plywood bulkhead.

I was thinking about cutting a fabric reinforcement patch to cover that area so that the fabric was reinforced over the wood edges. The drawing does not show that being done. Do you guys do anything in that area or do you just leave it be one layer of fabric?

Same question for the stringers? Do you put finish tape over them? Drawing does not show that either.

I see that the vertical stamped member aft of the door and its sister member on the left side between the windows rubs tight against teh fabric like a rib so I am putting a tape over that (I think). Sound rational to you guys?

Thanks, Dave.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

My opinion for whatever it's worth: I put a two inch (wide) tape where the wood frame transitions to the fabric because I've seen several cases where the fabric/paint will crack there possibly from the propwash. I guess my theory is that anytime you go from hard to soft there should be a reinforcing tape. Another that is often missed is from the leading edge back. I'm not sure what was 'original' but anytime the fabric is allowed to flex the paint will eventually crack in that area.

Mike Berg

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

Dave,
I put masking tape to the plywood to cushion the fabric on the edge. There should be at least a 1/8" radius on the plywood for the fabric to fold over. I only glue to the frame cut-out and the interior surfaces. This allows the fabric to squirm around a little when the plane flys. After the fabric is done I secure the headliner over the window frame and let a little continue to the outside of the frame. This gives the fairing strip a little cushion when it gets installed.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046