STOL kits on 65 hp 11 AC's ?

Post-War Aeronca Chief airplanes
EDGEFLY

STOL kits on 65 hp 11 AC's ?

Post by EDGEFLY »

Anyone on the forum with application experience with this kind of item on Chiefs ? I'm aware of the VG's, Climb props, etc. and have seen some products specifically applicable to other makes and models but am interested in anything you may be aware of which has actually been implemented on a Standard Chief. My objective here is to is to address Short Field takeoff performance.

Also, is anyone aware of applicable derating charts for takeoff performance for the Chief ? I don't think there ever was such a thing produced by Aeronca but perhaps there is such a thing as a universal tool for high wing "Low and Slow's" ?

Yes, it's possible that ex-cornfield on my small farm may become my airstrip development project. Thanks for your help.

Dale

rkittine

Re: STOL kits on 65 hp 11 AC's ?

Post by rkittine »

There is a guy on Barnstormers in Lubbock Texas with a Chief of Floats for sale. Apparently it has dropped wing tips. It is not a 65, but he does have wheels and skis for it and maybe he could give you an indication of what added takeoff / landing performance he got even though he has an 0-235 in it. Only one I have seen with a STOL type kit other then the VGs, which I have on both my Aeroncas.

Good Luck - Bob
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

7ECjim

Post by 7ECjim »

The only kit for the 11ac is horse power. Anything else other than hp is a waste of money. I had a 170 with all the stall crap on it. Even if I put it in a 200 foot strip there was no way It would ever get out with the 145 hp engine. That is 145 hp if it was turning the rpm's to gain it, which it did not. I sold it after three months of disappointment. The best thing to do and far ahead in money and time is to sell and buy what will work for your application.
Last edited by 7ECjim on Thu May 23, 2013 12:03, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan K. Hammond

Post by Nathan K. Hammond »

Avgas, and lots of it. Spend *quality* time flying the airplane; slow flight, stalls, T/O and landings.

Valdez Stol competition was won by a guy in a J-3 and VG's. He kept the airplane light and flew the crap out of it practicing.

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY »

Nate,
Been doing that some and there's little question that an 11AC can be landed in Short field fashion. Especially if equipped with VG's. But, the cub at Valdez would have been hard put if he was landing over a 50 foot obstacle located at the point where they started measuring his 56/54' numbers. Even more importantly, if there is a 50 foot obstacle across the other end of the available runway, the climb aerodynamics of whatever aircraft are infinitely critical. Contest playing is interesting but often doesn't have much to do with normal use of aircraft from obstacles and short field availability. These are frequently characteristic of practically available landing areas. My interest is that I can have such an airstrip configuration and could spend the time spent driving to and from my current hangar location flying the Chief instead of driving to and from.

Dale

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY »

Bob,

No question that horsepower may be a part of the solution but many of the available engine mods also seem to add enough weight or CG penalties to limit their usefulness in terms of T/O performance. Another consideration is the normally immense cost and time (for modification) factors there. No matter what his reason, I would like to talk to the person in Texas who has apparently made an aero mod to his Chief. Do you have any contact info on him ?

Dale

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY »

Bob,

No question that horsepower may be a part of the solution but many of the available engine mods also seem to add enough weight or CG penalties to limit their usefulness in terms of T/O performance. Another consideration is the normally immense cost and time (for modification) factors there. No matter what his reason, I would like to talk to the person in Texas who has apparently made an aero mod to his Chief. Do you have any contact info on him ?

Dale

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY »

Bob,

Dale

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY »

Users: Please excuse my duplicate posts on this thread.
Dale

rkittine

Post by rkittine »

Dale, I understand the issues with added horsepower and only posted about the plane in Lubbock because he has STOL drooped wing tips on it. If you contact him he MIGHT be able to give you some information on:
1. - What it is and how installed - 337 / Field Approval, STC etc.
2. - The cost
3. - Most important the kind of increase in performance he might have gained over the same engine without it. That MIGHT (or might not) translate to what kind of percentage of increase in performance you might get over your 65 wihout any engne chance. Seems worth an E-mail to him. He has been responsive to me via E-mail.

I have been interested in his plane, but have not come up with an economical and feasable way to get it from Western Texas to Eastern New York. Straight Floats, support (not over the road) trainler, whees and skis.

Good luck - Bob
Last edited by rkittine on Sat May 25, 2013 15:54, edited 1 time in total.
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

7ECjim

Post by 7ECjim »

Dale,
I have a Chief with a Buzz wagner stc'd Lycoming 0-235C1 115 hp that swings a 74x44 prop. Still LSA and still light. Send me an email.
Jim