Crunch Time Door latches

Post-War Aeronca Chief airplanes
Mike Datema

Crunch Time Door latches

Post by Mike Datema »

Completed Fuselage, cowling, powerplant, etc. goes to hangar next weekend to start hanging new wings and rigging of restored control surfaces. Been looking for at least one door latch for years. No cigar.
Is there anyone who has possession, knowledge or information? Thanks in advance all.

skyking3286

Re: Crunch Time Door latches

Post by skyking3286 »

Don Jones has new ones on eBay all the time. If you're looking for post war 7/11 parts....search for:

Aeronca 7AC Champ 11AC Chief Door Handle Assembly Aeronca P N 2 855

and

Aeronca Chief, Champ Door Latch Assembly, New

There some for sale right now.
Mark Peterson
Harvey Field, WA
A copy of my old Chief website is preserved here:

http://www.reocities.com/mrpeters.geo/index.html

Mike Datema

Post by Mike Datema »

Purchased one. Appears to be workable. Wings hung, secured and rigged with struts. Ailerons next. All tail surfaces hung, rigged and safetied. A&P this weekend for his survey. Maybe see if I remember how to fly it in about a month. Photos after logs endorsed. Fuel shutoff giving me fits. Packing leaks despite several tries. Ideas?

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

Mike,
Check to see if the valve has a tube thread or a pipe thread. The tube thread requires the breakaway fittings. If it's from the stem I've seen some with a little gasket on top og the spring washer and some had a small oring. I dont have a breakdown in fron of me but there should be a stem seal.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

Mike Datema

Post by Mike Datema »

Thanks, Paul. Was thinking along those lines. Leak is around the stem. The hassle lies in filling and draining the aux. tank for test and repair